Tuesday, December 7, 2010

10 Favorite Things about a Country Home

I roamed the countryside searching for answers to things I did not understand.
-Leonardo da Vinci
A week ago, we packed up our house in the suburbs and moved to the country...something that I had been dreaming of doing for the longest time. We found this beautiful 300 year old home in a small town of Pennsylvania and decided to call it home. It has been part of the landscape for such a long time...we are just keepers of this home, and this is our watch. Our charge is to make it better while we are here.

There are some amazing surprises of living in a country manor such as this...here are my top 10:
  1. Waking to the endless sky...whether it be a spectacular sunrise or an overcast day, there's no hiding from Mother Nature. She's got your number. Clear evenings reveal stars that were just waiting to be discovered.
  2. Well water...I never realized how much chlorine was in the public water I was drinking. We got lucky because our water is crystal clear and fresh!
  3. Windows...not exactly sure of how I will wash these tall beauties, but for now, I am enjoying the light that streams through the wavy panes.
  4. The mystery of who lived here before and wondering what they thinking when they made changes to the house...a positive and a challenge!
  5. The little breakfast spots that make the best French toast and coffee.
  6. Figuring out how to arrange furniture in colonial sized rooms.
  7. Making choices about what to keep. I have made a new rule...shop for only the best, but get less...there's not a lot of extra storage space in my house and over time, it occurred to me that it is okay to purge. Smaller collections of only the finest have more power.
  8. Exploring the hilly road and spaces.
  9. Not shopping at chains...there is something special when you know the people who make the food you eat and the things you need.
  10. The quiet.

What are the 10 favorite things about your home?

Photo credit: Suze Moore

0 comments: